As we head into the colder months, this easy Short rib slow cooker recipe will sooth every gripe a long week has thrown at you!
Super flavourful Beef Short rib, creamy mashed Potato, and charred Courgettes along with a rich punchy jus, make this one for the rotation.
Want more beef recipe’s? we got you! https://icanucancook.com/indexes/recipe-index/beef/
Braised Beef Short Ribs with Mashed potatoes and Courgettes
Slow cooked, succulent, fall off the bone beef ribs with minimum effort.
- 4 Meaty on the bone Beef Short Ribs
- 6 Carrots chopped
- 1 Onion diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic crushed
- 1 Stick of Celery diced
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 500 ml Rich Beef Stock
- 400 ml Red Wine Optional
- 2 tbsn Redcurrant Jelly
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Thyme
- 6 Potatoes Large
- 4 Courgettes/Zucchini sliced
- Remove any silver-skin from your ribs, pat dry and season your ribs with plenty of salt, and black pepper.Add oil to a hot pan or skillet and sear your ribs on all sides but the bone side, your looking for a dark golden crust here.Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan and oil, fry off your onion, carrot and celery, after 5 mins add your garlic, cook for 30-40 seconds and add purée, mix and cook off for 2 mins. Add wine, stock, bay leaves and herbs, season well.
- Add everything to slow cooker, place the ribs in the liquid and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 on low, then bone should slide out of the tender meat when done.
- 30 minutes before your cook time is up, peel and boil in salted water, 6 large potatoes. Around 12-15 minutes until you can push a fork easily into the potatoes.Strain the potatoes and let steam dry for a few minutes.
- Wash and slice your courgettes, I slice mine length ways into 6.Add to an oven dish, coat in olive oil and add salt, pepper, garlic salt, and your favourite seasoning powder.Place in a pre heated oven for 20 minutes at 180c/350f, turning half way.
- Using a ricer or a masher, mash the boiled potato until smooth, add 3 knobs of melted butter, salt, garlic salt and finely chopped parsley, mix together thoroughly.For supper creamy mash, also add a splash of milk or a drop of cream and mix.
- Remove the ribs gently and set aside, using a slotted spoon remove the carrots also and set aside.Pour the rest of the liquid into a pan and reduce until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. add a knob of butter and stir well.
- To serve carefully add your mash, try to leave a well in the centre.Spoon in some of your carrots, add your beef rib on top. Place your courgettes to the side and pour over some of your sauce/jus. Garnish with chopped chives.You shouldn't need a lot of the sauce as its very very rich, but you can always fill a gravy boat and add to the table for those who want more.