Some comfort foods, sit head and shoulders above the rest, and this pie is 100% one of them!
Chicken and Mushroom Pie is always a firm family favourite, but add in Golden Ale and Leeks and it elevates this Pie to be a show stopper.
Chicken and Mushroom Pie – With Cheddar cheese topping.
- 450 g Sifted Plain Flour
- 150 g Lard Diced
- 50 ml Warm Water
- 50 ml Plain Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Med Roast Chicken Roast for purpose or use leftover
- 150 g Button Chestnut mushrooms Quartered
- 1 Med Onion Sliced
- 1 Leek Sliced
- Mature Cheddar Cheese Freshly grated
- ½ Cup Flour
- 250 ml Golden Ale of Choice
- 1 tsp Chopped Thyme Use dried at a push
- 300 ml Chicken Stock
- ½ cup Chicken fat from the Roast Chicken
- To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl and season wellWarm the milk, water and lard until the lard has melted. Bring just to the boil and pour onto the flour mix, stir well, then add the egg and mix again. until combined. Set aside for 30 minutesTurn onto a floured surface and knead for 3-4 minsRoll the dough out to about 2/3mmSave enough pastry for a lid if you want instead of a cheese top. Blind bake @ 170c for 20 min with baking beans then leave to cool.
- Add the mushrooms to a pan a toast until halved in size and browned.Remove and keep in a bowl
- Using the Chicken Fat Fry off the onion and Leeks until softened, then add the flour to create a roux.
- Add the Ale, stir into the roux, then a little of the stock and cook for 4 mins, adding the stock gradually means you get the perfect consistency and dont make the filling too thin.
- Then add the Chicken, some cheese (not all of it) and the Thyme and season well, taste as you go.
- Spoon the mixture into the Pie cases, Don't be shy,lets deep fill these pies.Generously top the pies with grated Cheddar
- Back in the oven and bake at 180c until pastry is golden. Roughly 15 minutes.
- When done, garnish with a little chopped Parsley, and enjoy!