This is a great “Show off” meal on the plate, but easily made so can be a mid week family meal also.
Chicken, Carrots, Mash with Mushroom and Green Bean sauce
- 4 Large Chicken Thighs Skin on, Bone in
- 400 g Chestnut Mushrooms Cut into Quarters
- 250 g Fresh Green Beans Cut into 3's
- 3 Large Carrots Peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 Ltr Good quality Chicken Stock/Broth
- 5 Cloves of Garlic Crushed
- 5 Sprigs Thyme De Leaved
- 30-50 g Butter Add to desired taste/consistency
- 1 Red Onion Diced
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 6 Large Maris Piper Potatoes Peeled and cut into equal pieces, Par boiled
- Salt your Thighs on Both sides and leave in fridge for at least an hour before cooking, over night if possible
- Get your stock/broth in a pan on boil, we want to reduce by at least 50% to intensify the flavour.Feel free to add anything you like to this broth, I tend to add any scraps of veg or spare chicken bones from the fridge I wont use.Pre heat oven to 220c/ 460f
- Add Carrots evenly to a oven tray, coat in oil thoroughly and place in the oven.Check and turn these regular so as not to burn.
- On a low heat fry your onion in 1 tbsn oil for around 10 mins, Once softened, add the Balsamic and the sugar, stir in to caramalise, you should end up with dark sticky jam like onion goodness. Set aside
- In a Saute pan (Frying pan if you dont have one), heat 2 tbsp oil on a medium heat.Add the Chicken skin side down to crisp up the skin, Once you see the edges of the skin browning (should take about 5 miniutes, check as you go), Place the pan in the pre heated oven and cook for around 10 minutes until the skin is lovely and crispy
- Boil your potatoes until tender, drain and let steam in a colander whilst you do the next step.
- Carefully with an oven glove, remove the pan from the oven, Place the thighs on a plate to the side and add the Mushrooms, Garlic and thyme to the oil in the pan.Season and toss in the pan over a medium heat fro 5 minutes.Were looking for a lot of the water to evaporate from the mushrooms and them to reduce in size.Then place the chicken, skin side up on top of the mushrooms and place back in the oven again for around 10 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with salt, pepper, the onion mixture and butter until smooth and creamy, we want he consistency to hold its shape when placed on the plate.
- Carefully remove again from oven, and place Thighs on a plate to rest, and put pan back on a medium heat and add the green beans, tosssing ant stirring until beans are nice an softened., if you feel the need to add more oil at this stage you can do. There should be a nice layer on the bottom of the pan, this flavoured oil with make our sauce.You can turn off the oven now as its no longer needed
- Now, The broth should be reduced by at least a half, add 1-2 cups of the broth to the pan and stir in to create a thicker consistency, this will evaporate quickly so turn the heat right down, add butter a little at a time until the sauce is to your likening, you should have a rich smooth glistening sauce that tastes amazing.It shouldn't need more salt at this stage but taste and make the call.
- Remove the bone from the chicken and your ready to serve.
- Spoon some of the mash onto your plate, top with some of the Mushroom and bean sauce, add a crispy thigh on top, add more of the mushroom and bean sauce on top of that and then place 2 or 3 roasted carrots to the side of the mash.Enjoy!
- Remove mash if you want to go keto friendly and add an extra thigh.