Mac and Cheese is an American classic. With this recipe I like to add some interest and texture to a very popular dish without upsetting any Mac and Cheese hard core fans !
Mac and Cheese with Crispy Crumb
The Cheesiest, crumbliest Mac n Cheese ever!
- 500 g Macaroni Pasta
- 700 ml Milk
- 240 ml Cream
- 120 g Unsalted Butter
- 60 g Plain Flour
- ½ tsp Nutmeg Ground
- 2 tsp Salt Amount – personal taste
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 280 g Gruyere Cheese
- 280 g Cheddar Cheese
- 35 g Parmesan Cheese
- 100 g Breadcrumbs
- Add pasta to a pot of boiling salted water. Cook according to instructions and drain when al dente. The pasta should be ready just before your sauce.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the milk and cream in a pot making sure not to allow it to come to a boil.
- Melt 7 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a seperate large pot. Add the flour and whisk while it cooks on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the hot milk and cream in while whisking and cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cheeses, salt, nutmeg, paprika, and pepper.
- Melt one or two tablespoons of butter in a pan and mix with the breadcrumbs. Cook over medium heat while stirring until the breadcrumbs are a light golden color. Season with salt and pepper to taste then mix in about three tablespoons of shredded parmesan.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and mix well. Transfer to a baking dish or ramekins and top with the some more cheddar and parmesan and the toasted breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes.
- For an extra touch of moorish tasty goodness, you could also sprinkle pieces of crispy smoked bacon to the topping too!Enjoy