The British Staple, Fish and Chips, this recipe shows you how to make hands down the best version you’ll ever taste.
Make sure you check our Socials and Youtube for more recipe’s https://linktr.ee/icanucancook
The Best Ever Fish and Chips
- 2 Cod Loins Fresh Fillet will work also
- 100 g Rice Flour
- 200 g Self raising Flour
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 25 ml Vodka
- 330 ml IPA Beer Any Beer of choice will work
- 5 Large Maris Piper Potatoes
Optional – Creamed mushy Peas
- 500 g Frozen Garden Peas
- 50 ml Double Cream
- 25g Butter
- 1 tsp Mint Sauce
Optional – Tartare Sauce
- 1 cup Capers
- 4 Gherkins
- 5 Banana Shallots
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
First step best to do at least an hour before, day before if possible for best results. Beef Dripping is the best oil to use,but veg oil is fine also
- Peel Potatoes, cut into even sized chips and boil in salted water for 6-8 minutes. We want to cook the chips to the point just before they start to break up.Salt you fish
- Gently lower your boiled chips into hot fat at 150c/300f for around 8 mins, the aim here is to cook through but not colour the exterior, remove from fat and let cool for at least 10-15 mins (chilled in fridge for an hour is best but not essential.)
- Whilst chips are cooling lets make the batter, In a bowl add the Rice flour and self raising flour, mix in the vodka and then add beer whilst mixing till you reach a consistency like double cream.With the plain flour,coat the fish in the flour, this will help the batter adhere to the fish.
- Final fry your chips at 180c/350f until a golden brown and crunchy, add salt to taste and set aside.
- Dredge your fish in the batter mix, and add to hot oil at 160c/320f and cook until batter is golden, roughly 5 mins dependent on oil.
- Remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper
- Place the Fish on a plate with a handful of the chips, add the Peas and Tartare sauce if your having them, splash on Salt n Vinegar and ENJOY!!
- For the Peas – Boil garden peas for 10 mins,drain water and add butter, cream salt and pepper. once thoroughly mixed add mint sauce to taste.
- For the Tartare Sauce – Add the capers, Gherkins, diced Shallots and Parsley.Mix in the Mayo, add zest of the Lemon and juice from one half.Mix again and leave for half hour before serving along side the fish
If you liked this “chippy” dinner,check out our pie recipe’saswell which also go reallywellwith chips!