Bangers and Mash is a classic British pub dish. Although sausages and mashed potatoes alone are amazing comfort foods, Ive added a couple of ingredients to make it a bit more special, and perfect for a special meal.
The Ultimate Bangers and Mash
- 8 Good quality Pork Sausages
- 2 Red Onions Thinly Sliced
- 4 Slices Black Pudding thickness of a pound Coin (5mm)
- 8 Maris piper Potatoes
- 250 g Chorizo Sliced into disks
- 450 ml Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2-3 glugs Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 100 g Unsalted Butter
- 100 ml Double Cream
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic Salt
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- Peel your Potatoes, cut into small even chunks and wash in cold water until the water runs clear, do the same with the peel.Add the potatoes to salted water and boil for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender.Wrap skins in a tea towel and squeeze out any moisture, add to a dish with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Add these to a pre heated oven at 180c for 20 mins.
- In a frying pan on a low heat, add the onions to a tbsn of oil.The aim here is the caramelise the onions not fry them, this will take around 20 minutes and a little colour to the edges is fine.
- Add the sausages to another frying pan with Olive Oil, Garlic and Rosemary on a med heat until browned and caramelised. TIP – Prick the sausage skins with a cocktail stick to stop the sausages bursting.
- Whilst the sausages are cooking, add the flour to the onions and cook for 2 minutes, add the balsamic and stir in well, cook the vinegar out for 3-4 minutes, then add the sugar and the honey, cook for a further 3 minutes and add the stock, turn down the heat, add a knob of butter and simmer to thicken the sauce.
- Add the sausages to the pan of onion gravy and leave on a very low heat.
- Remove potatoes from the heat, drain and add back to the pan with the garlic salt, butter and Pepper.Mash everything together and add cream to make a smooth consistency (a potato ricer really helps here), add salt to taste.
- In the pan with the sausage oil and garlic, add the chorizo and black pudding, cook for 3 minutes, flip to the second side and continue to cook until ready.Remove from pan slice the Black pudding into quarters and place both pudding and chorizo on a paper towel.
- Now its time to serve, add mashed potato to a plate, using the serving spoon make a well in the centre to hold the other ingredients.Add a spoonful of the onion gravy to the well then two sausages. Top this with the black pudding and chorizo, then another ladle of the gravy.Finish off with the crispy potato skins and some chopped chives.Enjoy!